Great Gain of Contentment

A few days ago, I went for my weekly groceries. My kids always beg me to choose the hunky, hard-to-push cart with the car on the front. I don't always agree, but for whatever reason, this particular morning I felt up to the challenge of navigating the big load and being a referee in deciding which two of my three kids get to sit in the car. Within minutes, I had 2 jubilant children and 1 sulky one! At that moment, I recognized a young mother and her baby girl that attend our church, in the produce section of the store.

I stopped to chat with her and admire her cooing baby in the car seat. In the midst of our conversation, the young mom comments that my stage of life looks fun. I don't have to lug around the heavy baby seat, my kids are old enough to walk through the store and are easily entertained by riding in the Cart Mobile. Wide-eyed, I respond that SHE is the lucky one. Heavy or not, at least that car seat fully contains her (ONE) child! We laugh and head our separate ways.

But our ways were not so separate. We continued to pass each other every few aisles. By aisle #4 her baby was asleep and mine were restless, disobedient, whiny, and pulling food off the shelves. By aisle #12, my frazzled, stressed looked prompted her to encourage me, "You're almost done!"

As much as I don't desire to return to the "baby stage" and all the work that entails. I couldn't help envying her peaceful shopping trip and how she could concentrate without any interruptions. And after seeing my shopping trip progress, I believe that young mother left the store feeling a bit more content with her stage in life than when she began her trip. I remember those days well, after all, that was me, just six short years ago. In that first year, I couldn't wait for my daughter to complete those milestones: become mobile, communicate, and interact. And now, being the mother of a toddler, pre-schooler, and kindergartner, there are days I just want them to sit still, be quiet, and not bother me!

I will be honest, there are days I can't wait for my children to all be in school. Some days, the empty nest seems SO. FAR. AWAY! But, deep in my heart, I know how fast the last 6 years have flown and from what others tell me, the next 12 will go even faster.

All week, God has been reminding me in my devotions of Psalm 118:24: "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Don't complain because God is the Author of my circumstances. The best way to handle unwanted situations is to thank Him for them. I can't worry or long for tomorrow or get stuck in the past. There is abundant life in the present!

God reminded me through that simple encounter at the grocery store to be content in my TODAY. 1 Tim 6:6 tells us that we are rich when we are content So, whatever stage of life you are in, I encourage you to find contentment and joy in it!

Youth/Young Adults/Singles: Enjoy your freedom! Love deeply in your friendships, share Jesus in your school/workplace. Live each day as if it were your last.

Young moms/dads: Yes, your baby is demanding and you are hours days behind on sleep. But, your child will never be this tiny again...cherish those special cuddles, even if they take place at 2 am.

Want-to-be moms/dads: God understands your ache to hold your child in your arms. May the peace and hope of God envelop you. Remember that YOU are fearfully and wonderfully made and that God has great plans for you, even when you can't fully understand His plans. May God lovingly wrap His arms around you and give you peace and contentment in your heart.

Moms/Dads of young children: Fully embrace these challenging years. Love much, forgive often, extend grace and patience. Enjoy these wide-eyed wonder-years and their innocence and exitement for life. They are fully impressionable, so make your lasting imprint on their lives today.

Moms/Dads of teenagers: I can't speak from experience, but God wants me to remind you to press on. There may not be much fruit in these dry, challenging years. But keep the faith, and pray, pray, pray. Your children will eventually "see the light" and you just may be their best friend, someday! Learn to be content, even when you see them making mistakes.Sometimes, there is no better way for them to learn than the hard way.

Empty Nesters/Grandparents: You may be finding it hard to be content, struggling to know your purpose. But, you have a high calling. You've been there, done that with all these stages. It's your turn to speak life into people you see on a daily basis. Speak words of encouragement and wisdom to that frazzled mother. Pray for the dad who works long hours to make ends meet. Listen to the children who want to share their latest excitement with you. The young families of today CAN'T do life without your input!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage