Bleach-able Monday

It's kind of mind-boggling how a day can turn sour in a matter of minutes. Monday mornings are typically hairy in our household. It's a chore to get the kids moving and to school on time. I often have to do extra enunciation of our simple morning routine.

But, this past Monday was different. I got up early, started my day and week off right by spending some time with Jesus. The kids woke on time. They were pleasant. For the most part, they did their routine, with no extra begging and pleading from me. Hallelujah.

It was a relaxed walk to the bus stop with my daughter; a welcome pace compared to our usual frantic walk, wondering if she'll make it on time. After sending her on her way, I walked back to the house with a spring in my step. It was going to be a good day!

However, upon re-entering my house I find that it is quiet. Never a good sign with 2 boys on the loose. I find the bathroom door locked, as well as my 5 year old's bedroom.

Definitely NOT a good sign!

I decide to investigate the bathroom first, since this is where my son was seen last. I open the door and gasp. A clog so bad, that the toilet is overflowing and a running river across the entire bathroom, puddling in the closet.

We've been down this road before with this particular son. We have emphasized, countless times, that we DO NOT continue flushing if a clog occurs. But, it's never progressed to anything this bad.

But, surprisingly, I am calm. My morning Jesus-time kept me from hitting the roof. Upon unlocking his bedroom door, I see remorse written over every ounce of his body.

*Extend grace*

I learn he flushed it 5 times.

*Extend patience*

"I didn't know it was over-flowing until my feet started getting wet."

*Extend love*

I must admit, hot, angry tears rolled down my face as I mopped up the dirty water with an entire roll of paper towel. I thought angry thoughts as I bleached that bathroom from corner to corner. I complained as I wrung out rugs, heavy with overflow. My attitude was as dirty as the toilet water I was mopping up.

That spring in my step? Gone.

That feeling that it was going to be a great day? Gone.

Why is our joy and happiness so circumstantial?

In the thick of life, my humanness would rather be like Satan instead of my Savior.

Ann Voskamp in her book, "One Thousand Gifts" states it so well: "Do I really smother my own joy because I believe that anger achieves more than love? That Satan's way is more powerful, more practical, more fulfilling in my daily life than Jesus' way? Why else get angry? Isn't it because I think complaining, exasperation, resentment, will pound me up into the full life I really want? When I choose-and it is a choice-to crush joy with bitterness, am I not purposefully choosing to take the way of the Prince of Darkness? Choosing the angry way of Lucifer because I think it is more effective-more expedient-than giving thanks?"

I've been blessed and challenged as our recent Sunday School lessons have been looking at the book of Job. I had one morning of sanity snatched away from me and I was already complaining and whining like a toddler. If God chose to take away my house, livelihood, entire family, and inflict me with cancer, would I be mopey and pitying myself or would I be pressing in to know MY GOD deeper and more passionately?

We all have bleach-able moments in life, but can we learn to face them with joy instead of bitterness? Can we seek the full life by looking for the gifts instead of exasperating about the trials? Can I trade in my complaining and anger for a true love, so deep and pure, that I will never be the same again?

Come, Lord Jesus, come.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage