Is Mealtime Going Out of Style?

During my growing-up years, my family ate almost every evening meal together. With the exception of field hockey season, marching band season, and jobs that came during our teenage years, I look back and cherish those family dinners. Sometimes we would just sit and chat longer than needed, sharing details about our individual days. Sunday afternoon lunches were the best...no hurried agenda or schedule to keep.

I'm not sure if it was due to the fact that my dad was in the ministry since I was 11 years old or the fact that people visited more "back then". But, I do remember many, many meals eaten around the table of a host I didn't know well or having visiting pastors gathered around our dinner table. To this day, I can still visualize those homes and the special bond of friendships that were formed by those intimate mealtimes.

About a year ago, I began reflecting on those special memories and began longing for my children to have some of those same experiences. The more I thought about those mealtimes with the long table stretched out and the formal china gracing the crisp tablecloth, the more I realized how much our culture has changed in just one generation. Since having a family, I don't recall ever being invited to a non-family dinner at which a meal other than pizza, hot dogs, or burgers was served. I'm not saying in any way that those meals aren't "good enough", but just proving a point that fancy meals are quickly declining.

My grandma often reminisces how Sundays were set aside for visitation. She would cook an extra large Sunday lunch and invite anyone over after church. Or some Sunday afternoons they would hop in the car, drive around for a bit, and end up stopping in at someone's house to visit. Often these visits were spontaneous and could last the entire day. Anyone who attended Weaverland's Mother/Daughter banquet last May would remember Bernice Wagner sharing similar stories. She always had baked items in the freezer or an easy brownie recipe that she could whip up at a moment's notice if guests were to arrive.

How different our culture is today! There is not much emphasis put on visitation anymore and if we do get together with others, it's planned in advance. These days, Sunday meals are mostly fend-for-yourself or eating out at a restaurant. Sadly, many in my generation and younger don't even know how to cook from scratch and boxed dinners and hamburger helper fill their pantries! Statistics show that there is a direct correlation between academics and family mealtime. Students who have a regular sit-down meal with their families do much better in school. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be raised this way and that I am able to continue this way of life.

I humbly realize I have much to learn from the older generations. I want to view my home and kitchen as a place for ministry. I don't want to get caught up in details and having everything perfect when guests come to eat. The story of Mary & Martha in Luke 10 always challenges me. Often, I am like Martha, distracted by preparations and duties. How quickly I overlook the importance of relationships, both with Jesus and with others.

I was trying to think of a tangible and practical way to re-introduce fellowship around the meal table. Years ago, my church had an event called "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" that my family participated in. Each family would sign up to be a host or guest and the committee would make the assignments. On the day of the event, the host would be surprised with their guests. The guests would have an address and make the trek to their surprise destination. I decided to re-introduce this event, which will take place for the first time on Sunday. I am excited to hear stories of ministry that take place in the many homes that evening. I'm hopeful to see the older and younger generations find something in common and build relationships through this event. And our church is growing, with a large building project scheduled for later this year, so I'm praying this event can draw new attendees and longtime-attendees together.

What is God speaking to you through this post? Have family meals become a thing of the past in your home? Do you get caught up in details like Martha and forget the importance of relationships? Will you commit to opening your home on a regular basis to minister to others? Will you surrender the lies from Satan that tell you that your cooking is not good enough or your home is not nice enough? So much of Jesus' ministry took place around the meal table, may we learn from His example and be the humble servants He desires!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage