Servant Mom

There are several things I could blame. Perhaps, the fact that day-to-day reality after the holidays is rough. Or maybe it's all the new Christmas toys littering my floors without permanent homes yet. Or maybe it's lack of routine and having my kids off of school. Or it's just life and I need to learn to roll with it.

I came home from running a few errands yesterday and I felt it the minute I walked in the door. A million things calling for my attention. Everywhere I looked I saw more work. I mentally screamed and physically glared at the dishwasher that needed unloaded, the clean piles of laundry that needed put away, the clock that told me supper needed to be made, the blinking e-mails that needed to be addressed, the stack of bills that needed paid, the bags of new purchases that needed emptied, toys that needed to be cleaned up...not to even mention the long list of projects I've been wanting to do for several months now. 

I felt myself drowning in a well of pity. According to my child-like imagination those many years ago, life and "house" never seemed this hard and endless. But, then with a sigh, I remembered my many blessings and this quote: 

So are you saying I'm not a good Mom or that my children are not happy because my floors are not sticky, I don't have a messy kitchen, I don't have laundry piles or dirty ovens? I think not! I'm a great Mom & have very happy children thank you!:

and I told myself, "It's all okay." 

Then early this morning, I suddenly realized that my church's ladies group, Friendship Circle, starts again next week and I am leading worship. I quickly glanced at the upcoming topic for the morning and inwardly groaned: "Serving Jesus". All my emotions from the previous day come flooding back. So often, I feel like a servant all day long- cooking, cleaning, baking, and caring for my family and somehow in the midst of that I need to serve Jesus too.

Instantly the familiar worship song rang in my head: 
"Make me a servant, humble and meek. 
Lord, let me lift up those who are weak. 
And may the prayer of my heart always be, 
make me a servant, make me a servant, make me a servant today."

My initial thoughts were wondering how could I serve God today in addition to all my daily responsibilities? But the Holy Spirit gently reminded me that serving my family and those around me is serving God if I have the right attitude. 

An attitude of love and humility and prayer. An attitude of being and not just doing.An attitude of worship and devotion. An attitude of placing others needs before my own. An attitude of gratefulness and thankfulness. 

The dictionary defines a servant as a person who performs duties for others, a devoted and helpful follower or supporter.

I think some of the greatest and most influential people are ones who serve. And I realized from my own selfish flesh, that true servant-hood starts in the heart, not the hands. When Christ's love fills my heart, I will want to serve and love and bless. But, when it's full of myself I will want to groan and complain and quit. 

So, evaluate your heart today. Are you being a self-server or servant for Christ? Let's aim to start our new year with attitudes and hearts ready to serve!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage