The Idol of Comfort

If you're reading this blog in the state of Pennsylvania, you'll know that we had quite the heat wave this week. It has felt more like the throes of July than our typical autumn September days! Of course, it just so happened that with the week's hot forecast fresh on my mind, I kept waking up Monday night due to an unusual sound coming from our air conditioner...and our house felt hot! Sure enough, by late afternoon on Tuesday, our air conditioner was running constantly and unable to keep the house cool. After a call to our HVAC repairman, we were relieved they could come out Wednesday afternoon. It was very humid Wednesday morning and our thermostat was already climbing to 79* at 8 am, but to our surprise, our "hero" arrived early! A simple part was replaced and life in the heat felt bearable again!


Sadly, this experience was yet another humbling reminder that "comfort" is just as much of an idol for me as "control" is. Why is it that feeling stretched or uncomfortable is seen as wrong or unwanted, rather than seen as a blessing or growth? It is much too common to take modern conveniences for granted or worse yet, assume that life is miserable without them! Our daughter quickly brought us to our senses when we were wondering how we could possibly sleep in the heat Tuesday night. She said we could do this for one night because she slept in hotter and more cramped conditions for many nights in Costa Rica this past summer. Yes, it was a word well-spoken to grow up and sacrifice our comfort for a day or two!  

This summer I was able to do a fair amount of reading and one of the books I read was "Called for Life" by Dr. Kent Brantly who contracted Ebola in Liberia and survived after receiving treatment in the States. Early on in the book, he shared the calling he and his wife felt to surrender their lives of comfort. As an American doctor and nurse, they could've had it all, but early on in their marriage and career, they chose to surrender the idea of being comfortable. Reading that goal impacted me because, even though I've lived on the mission field and done hard things in my life where I could only draw strength from God, deep down I still detest being "uncomfortable". 

The next book I read was equally inspiring. "I've Seen the End of You" by W. Lee Warren, MD is a book written by a neurosurgeon. He shares about the journey God took him on where he had to look directly into the face of faith, doubt, and hope and wrestle with difficult questions. A powerful quote on page 236 states: "I had discovered a profound truth in my journey through treating cancer patients and trauma victims, through becoming a traumatized war veteran, and through losing my son: my happiness cannot depend on my life being pain-free." Wow, let those words sink in: my happiness cannot depend on my life being pain-free. Do we live with this mindset? Are we only happy when things are going smoothly? Can we worship in difficult moments as Job did when all of life's blessings were snatched away in a matter of hours? One of my favorite songs right now is  "That the Thing About Praise" which challenges me to praise God in the midst of all the storms of life. Faith shifts our focus from the problem to the promise. 

Life is going to be full of pain, loss, and inconveniences. Perhaps much of my life has been spent trying to control that from happening or striving to prevent any possible mishap from taking place. Have I bought into the lie that if I behave a certain way, God will protect me from all troubles, bless me, and make me happy?

Look at the life of Jesus. He embraced his life's calling even when it involved pain, sacrifice, and death. He faced His trials, rooted in faith, even when the outcome was not enjoyable for Him. A sermon at my church on August 13 drove these thoughts even deeper into my heart with the reminder that until Jesus returns, taking up the cross will never be comfortable (Matt 10:38-39) A soft and fluffy gospel is not the true gospel (Matt 10:16-17) and a me-centered gospel is not the true gospel. (Matt 10:18-20) Can we look deep within ourselves and ask the tough question, "Are self and comfort my idols?"

Friend, there is peace that comes when the striving ends. Can we fully surrender our desires to control life's circumstances? Will we openly and honestly share our deepest fears with God? Are we ready to radically embrace discomfort rather than running from it? Will I be found fully obedient to the tasks God has given me or am I putting my wants and needs ahead of Him?

Growth, change, and challenges make us stronger and wiser. The uncertainties of the future can feel overwhelming and intimidating, but knowing that God's got our back and He's with us through every twist, turn, mountain, and valley allows us to view it through the lens of a great adventure!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage