Seasons of Waiting


Waiting is tough. 

We live in a culture where everything is at our fingertips. Everything is instant. Any need or want can almost immediately be gratified. The feelings of entitlement and discontent run deep in the blood of many humans. 'I deserve that... and I deserve it now.'

That is a dangerous realization and a trap that I am determined not to fall into.

Have you ever felt like your future depended on something? Maybe a phone call from a doctor? Or a letter from a college? An interview with a company? An e-mail from a builder...

Yeah, that last one was directed at me. Four years ago, my husband and I sold our home and moved into an apartment. Our goal was to purchase some land from my in-laws and build a home in approximately 5 years. We are 1 year away from that 5 year goal. It takes approximately 1 year to build a home, if you take into consideration all the 'ground work' that is done before actually 'breaking ground.'

We are in the waiting phase. We finalized a plan that meets our needs and a few of our wants ;-) And now the builder is working on a price...for, like, several weeks...

By nature, I am a planner. I like to plan my life as best as I can. So, it's has been really hard to wait. I seriously have my e-mail open all day long. Just in case I will finally get an answer to my question of whether or not we can begin the building process.

The other night, my husband randomly exclaimed, "We got an e-mail from him!" Only realizing seconds later, that he was only joking! I almost cried. (I did pay him back a few days later with the same cruel joke!)

But, as the days wear on I find myself getting grumpy about the waiting. I have feelings of entitlement and impatience creeping in. I so badly want that price to come within our price range. I so badly want to know whether we'll have a house of our own by next year at this time. 

I think it's okay and healthy to dream and plan our futures. But my attitude was not okay. My dream became my obsession. I was no longer surrendering my desires to God, instead I felt entitled to earn them myself. My impatience began making me bitter.

Are you in a season of waiting? Are you wondering where and how God is working? Join me in choosing to worship and serve while we're waiting. Proverbs 19:21 says, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." No matter the outcome from our awaited phone calls, e-mails, interviews, letters, or decisions, God is God and He deserves our praise and our trust that He knows best!

There comes a deep peace and joy when we finally learn to persevere through the Seasons of Waiting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage