Learning to Rest

Lately I have been reminded by the importance and necessity of resting. I have been loving the current summer season where there is not much of a schedule, no extracurricular activities for our kids, and no major house projects going on. Our kids have even noticed the recent abundance of quality family time and have been soaking it up.

A few weeks ago, my sisters and sister-in-law took our mom to an art gallery to paint a canvas for her belated mother's day gift.




Even though it was a bit intimidating at first, I believe we all came away from the evening refreshed and relaxed! I must admit, after painting a sunrise beach scene,  I became much more aware of the beautiful sunsets and sunrises that God paints on the canvas of the skies every day. I recognized the colors and the glory of God's handiwork on a whole new level. 

When I brought my painting home, my daughter just gushed and gushed how impressed she was with my painting. Of course it felt good, because of all the hard work and time that went into it! I realized how much it must hurt God when we ignore the beauty he lovingly places around us. 

So, I  have been finding God's gentle reminders to slow down, breathe, and take in my surroundings. Savor, relish, and enjoy the beauty He has created: 
the lapping waves at the beach, 
the birds' cheerful morning songs, 
the rich colors swirled in the evening sky, 
the twinkling fireflies dancing in the dark,
the gentle raindrops pattering on the roof,
the dancing, swaying trees in the early morning breeze...

In my morning devotions, I was reading from Numbers 29 and how the Israelites were commanded to take three Holidays with God: Festival of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, and Festival of Tabernacles. These festivals required God's people to take days and weeks of rest to celebrate and worship Him for His goodness. These holidays meant that they had to set aside their daily routines and responsibilities, they had corporate worship, and they gave sacrificial gifts unto the Lord.

I was challenged to do a better job at setting aside my agenda and plans and replacing it with a more dedicated time with God. Learn to rest instead of do. Giving God my best and first focus, rather than my last and depleted. As my devotional challenged me, "Experiencing more of God often requires stepping away from the normal to participate in the exceptional."*

What "normal" will you step away from today in order to experience the exceptional presence of God? Where are you sensing God's call to rest instead of do? Will you surrender your stress and worry and allow a spiritual holiday replenish your joy?

In a season where many vacations and trips can leave us worn down and empty, I urge you to find the peace and rest that Christ desires you to experience every day. Look for the quiet reminders of His everlasting presence and love. Surrender those daily distractions and soak up the renewal that comes in the sacred space of worship. 





* Leah Dipascal from first5.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage