Spring Cleaning

I have a love/hate relationship with this saying of spring cleaning...I love spring, but hate cleaning! I am the type of person that loves a clean house, but the effort it takes to keep a clean house is just plain exhausting! Especially when the factors of 3 young kids and living in an apartment above a horse barn are combined! The dirt, the clutter, the disorganization...it's endless!

I remember when I was growing up, my mom would typically tackle spring cleaning in the summer when my siblings and I were home from school. When the words "houseclean such-and-such a room" were heard at breakfast, groans were heard all around. And yet, even with all the work it took to tear apart a room, clean every nook and cranny, and put it back together, I have to admit, it was refreshing knowing everything was clean, organized, and rearranged! In more ways than one, it felt like a brand, new room!

Spring cleaning has been on my mind this week since I find my schedule to be very open and my goal is to attack the bedroom that my oldest daughter and son share. I am embarrassed to admit that this room has not been thoroughly cleaned in 2 years and you'd probably believe me if you peek under the bunk bed!

Although I dread most aspects of cleaning, I will say there is one job I do with gusto and excitement! And that would be: vacuuming! To me, this is the most exciting and satisfying chore of all. First of all, vacuuming the entire house is a great workout and I generally work up a good sweat. Secondly, who doesn't love the sound of dirt rattling up the vacuum? I enjoy finding a patch of carpet that doesn't even look dirty and I suddenly "hear" the dirt disappearing. It's almost as exciting as a metal detector finding treasure! Recently, I got a new bag-less vacuum, so when I'm finished, I get the joy of opening the canister and dumping all the contents in the trash. It's unbelievable the amount of dirt and dust that builds up in a week's time. Nothing brings more satisfaction than the sight of dirt-free floors and the carpets looking freshly "mowed".

I can't help but insert a spiritual application :-) Is it time for spring cleaning in your life? Are there cobweb grudges hanging over you? Are there dust bunnies of sin hiding within your heart? Are your thoughts littered with the worldly dirtiness? Do the walls of your prideful heart need wiped clean? Are the closets of your mind feeling cluttered and disorganized? Does bitterness stare back at you in the mirror? Does the "Ultimate Vacuum" need to come and sweep all the dirt and dust from your life?

I invite you to join me in allowing our God, the cleaner, into your life. Let Him reorganize, refresh, renew, and clean out all the junk that so quickly builds up. Let Him put new light into your life. Just like freshly swept carpet reveals the presence of a vacuum, so our lives can represent the presence of our Maker, our Cleaner, our Forgiver, our GOD.

Psalm 51:1-15
Have mercy on me, O God,
    because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
    blot out the stain of my sins.
Wash me clean from my guilt.
    Purify me from my sin.
For I recognize my rebellion;
    it haunts me day and night.
Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
    I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
    and your judgment against me is just.[a]
For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
But you desire honesty from the womb,[b]
    teaching me wisdom even there.
Purify me from my sins,[c] and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Oh, give me back my joy again;
    you have broken me—
    now let me rejoice.
Don’t keep looking at my sins.
    Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
    and don’t take your Holy Spirit[d] from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
    and they will return to you.
14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
    then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15 Unseal my lips, O Lord,
    that my mouth may praise you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage