The Ice Storm

So, we recently had an ice storm. And, although it was beautiful to see the trees coated with a thick, sparkling coat of ice, I wasn't excited about our power going out at 7:30 am on Wednesday morning. I hadn't gotten a shower, my dishwasher and sink were full of dirty dishes, and I was wanting to vacuum my very dirty floors. By 10:00, the house was getting a bit chilly and, knowing that my parents (5 minute drive away) still had power, I willingly and excitedly packed up the kids and headed over to Grandma & Grandpa's! We spent the rest of the day baking, playing, relaxing, and napping. It was a much-needed vacation away from home!


After supper, we decided to head home and run our generator to warm up the house and cool the freezers and refrigerators. Many people like dimly lit homes and cozying up, but for some reason it creates anxiety for me. For 5 months, I lived in India where power outages were a daily occurrence, so I would think this wouldn't be a big deal for me. But, it comes back to the control thing, I believe. If I know how long the power will be out, I can make do. It's the NOT KNOWING that drives me nuts. So, it wasn't long until I noticed the "grumpies" taking over my attitude. My dirty dishes still screamed at me (I was already planning to eat cereal in plastic cups the next morning!), normal habits of flicking on switches and turning faucets only reminded me that we still had no power, and a text from PP&L gave me no hope...they couldn't guarantee restoration of power until Saturday! I began to panic as I thought how I was going to survive 2 1/2 more days with 3 kids, no electric or water, and a dirty house!


8:00 came and we all went to bed, but I just tossed and turned...praying and hoping for the electric to suddenly come on. My thoughts suddenly drifted to the book I am currently reading by Beth Moore, called "Believing God". In it she talks about miracles and how it's not about lack of faith when we don't get what we pray for. Instead, there is a "greater yes" that God has in mind for us to learn. Yes, it may not be the answer we want or expect, but we need to change our perspective and open up our hearts for the greater purpose of what he wants to teach us.  I quote, "Thankfully, God can often perform a miracle in our circumstances and in our hearts and minds simultaneously."


So, these thoughts led me to total surrender. I became at peace at the thought of no power until Saturday, because I knew in my heart that God would teach me something through it. And finally, sleep found me...until a popping, gurgling sound awoke me. My husband jumped out of bed and exclaimed the power was back on. I grabbed my phone to see what time it was, and the numbers jumped back at me: 11:28. You may think, "So, what's the big deal about the time?" Well, they mean the world to me because 11/28 is my birthday. God, in his divine timing, used yet another, simple way of showing me He is in control and all He wants is my surrendered heart!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Foggy Twists and Turns

The Idol of Comfort

Deep Cleaning: My Pantry and My Marriage